monday's thoughtsTransformers Review


My little run-of-the-mill review.





Ever since I saw it's sneak preview trailer way back in 2006, I let out a little shreak of excitement and a little boy in me surfaces... very much like a small boy in 1987, I've been eagerly lusting for the big day when it will invade our little island. After a year of restless anticipation, the wait is finally over.

Filled with excitment and adrenaline, I quickly scrambled to secure my tickets almost a week in advance. Thanking my lucky stars, I discovered one cinema in town that still offers pretty good seats. (All other cinemas are booked solid throughout the opening weekend.)


As I nested comfortably in my seat waiting for the show to start, an entourage of movie trailers dutifully rolls past.. but my mind was transported back in time, back 20 years to be exact. Back to the 80s when I remember rushing and running home from school to catch the cartoon... with my 20-ton school bag on my right shoulder and a pair of scruffy-looking white school shoes leaving a nice brown trail leading to the living room... which never fails to drive my mom mad.

As the 2 iconic logos flashes across my old 21" TV set, faithfully accompanied by the world-famous phrase..." More Than Meets The Eye." I'll promptly take out my proud collection of the entire range of Transformer's toys (One of my biggest regret in life is throwing them away.. darn!!), and mimicking the action sequences on-screen.

Guess if you're a kid in the 80s, you'll know exactly what movie I'm talking about here. Yes, those awesome robots they call.. The Transformers!!

I was jostled out of my thoughts when the lights dimmed and the boisterous crowd was suddenly silent. The show has began....

.... feeling like a 7 year-old kid all over again...

Transformers breaks the boundaries of movie imagination, transcending all expectations amongst the legions of fans worldwide. Thoughout the 135mins, its action-packed sequences, coupled with an engaging plot of romance and fine sprinkling of candid humour belts me to my seat throughout.




Dreamworks has certainly reached the pinnacle in terms of design and animation. The quality and realism of the CGI visual effects were superb.








The storylines of each individual character are effortlessly integrated together and the SFX (sound effects) added just the right finishing touches at the right moment to making this one of the best action movie of the year!!









I felt like a 7 year-old kid again upon hearing the very 1st distinctive sound when Blackout transforms. They are faithfully reproduced right down to the tone & pitch of the effect. To top it off, they even managed to get Peter Cullen (the original guy) to voiced Optimus Prime for this movie as well.





As the kids of the 80s grew up to be working adults in their late 20s and 30s now, this movie and predominately Michael Bay has successfully made their favourite childhood icon of yesteryear grown and matured with them. From the 80s' 2D cartoons to its current photorealistic CGI that looks as true to life as your kitchen toaster... simply jaw-dropping! It's definitely a reminiscing and somewhat emotional trip down memory lane for many of my generation.


It's been ages since I've left any movie theater with a tingling sensation and sitting in my car, I took a second look at the logo on my steering wheel...(you'll know what I'm talking about if you had watch the movie.)

Basically, I've no grouses in this movie.. except for a few minor details which I believe will be rectified in its upcoming 2 sequels (yes, you heard it right! Transformers will be at least a Trilogy!! Dreamworks & Micheal Bay has secured the rights from Hasbro for 2 more sequels.)













My 2 main grouses?
- Maybe Hasbro/Michael Bay can come up with an idea how it's all started at cybertron, how Megatron landed accidentally on earth, why the Decepticons and Bumblebee are already on earth?
- The fight scenes are just a teeny bit too fast.. leaving viewers somewhat a little confused



What I hope for the sequels?
- Introductions of megabots like Constructicons which can merge 5 robots to form a gigantic robot.
- Dinobots!! My all-time favourite.. Grimlock!
- Soundwave... maybe he could be an iPod player this time.. hehehe..
- More development and individual screen time with each bot in the movie. (eg. Jazz died too fast and hardly anyone even knows that.)



Overall verdict: A definite MUST-WATCH even if you are down to your very last $7.50!!!





Some old-school versions a.k.a. the ORIGINAL stuff!
The Autobots


The Decepticons





No comments: